Monday, November 17, 2014

'Tis the Season (for Catalogs)!

I always know the holidays loom when I come home to a mailbox jam-packed with catalogs.

Now, admittedly, I do a lot of online shopping. But I have my go-to places. For clothing, I love Boston Proper. Shoes are DSW. Occasionally, I buy my coffee from Kenoza. Just about everything else is Amazon. And I also receive catalogs from my favorite retail stores: Ulta, Pier One, and Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Why do I get catalogs for items I'd never shop for? I don't order cheese or fruit or meat online. I have no interest in toy trains, jigsaw puzzles, crafting supplies, or American Girl stuff. Yet, every November, immediately following the end of the election paper blizzard, the catalogs start arriving. Fast and furious. And...eclectic.

Are you a collector of fancy mustard? I bet there's a catalog devoted to you (and it'll probably wind up in my mailbox next week). Wanna send a goat to Africa in someone's name? There's a catalog for that (and yes, I got it already). How about a catalog of nothing but cuff links? It exists. Know how I know? Because it came in Saturday's mail!

I can't wait to see what shows up today.

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page:
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: