Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Presenting: NaBloWriMo

It's November 1. If you're a writer, this day kicks off NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. The idea is fairly simple: Write a 50,000 word first draft of a complete novel in one month (30 days).

The undertaking, however, is harder than it seems. November is a tough enough month for US participants with Election Day and Thanksgiving taking up a chunk of time when writers will be away from their keyboards. Then add in shopping and prep work for the upcoming December holidays, and your amount of actual writing time is cut drastically. Knowning all these distractions loom, NaNoWriMo participants plan ahead: lots of meals that can be tossed together in a slow cooker or prepared in advance and heated up quick, family members are warned to not disturb the writer unless death or total devastation is imminent, chunks of time are blocked on calendars, and daily word count goals are set up.

I will not participate in NaNoWriMo this year. I literally just finished my latest book for Harlequin yesterday, and frankly, I'm drained. I plan to take the next two months off and get back into writing again after the New Year. 

Instead, I've decided to start NaBloWriMo: National Blog Writing Month. Because I've neglected my blog while trying to make my Harlequin deadline, I'm going to attempt to post some kind of blog post every day this month. Yes, it's ambitious. No, not every post will be a gem. Some, I'll admit, will probably be kinda short, depending upon what I have to say any particular day and how much time I have to write it. Still, it could be fun. And scary. After all, I'm giving you a daily peek into what's inside my head.

So, come along for the ride. Let's see where I end up by November 30.


For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: http://excellenceediting.com/

1 comments: