Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

How to be a Crummy Holiday Guest

So, a few years back, I had some issues with my oven's thermostat at Thanksgiving, and dinner took a little longer to get to the table than anticipated. (It *got* to the table and was quite delicious--just about an hour later than I originally projected.) This year, when I invited one of my guests, she was kind enough to remind me that her family wound up eating most of the Italian bread before dinner last time around because they were starving by the time we sat down to eat. This year, she told me, she was going to warn them in advance to eat before they came. And, through the grapevine, I've been informed that they're threatening if dinner's late again this year, they won't be attending ever again.

Wow. Golly. What ever shall I do?

Here's a tip for holiday guests. Sometimes, stuff happens. You can plan a meal that makes Emeril beg for your recipes, but the electricity goes out, the oven's thermostat blows, or the souffle just frickin' collapses anyway. As a guest, you smile, you thank the host/hostess for all the work (s)he put into the meal, and you enjoy the time you're given with family and friends. You can even laugh about it privately on your way home, if that's your thing.

What you don't do? Belittle the host/hostess for disappointing you and hold it over their heads like a ransom demand.

Luckily, I have a great sense of humor. I'll smile my way through this encounter. Of course, I may just slide a plate with one olive on a toothpick in front of the little fiends just to let them know I'm aware of their rudeness. What they choose to do after that is up to them.

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: http://excellenceediting.com/

0 comments: