Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Ready for Autumn?

I am! I have to admit that autumn is my favorite season. The vivid colors, the crisp air, the comfort foods... What's not to like? 

Yeah, I know, Pumpkin-Everything. For those of us who love pumpkin (me!), it's the most wonderful time of the year. But for anyone who has an aversion to this particular flavor, you have my sincere apologies. I get it. Really. You feel about pumpkin lovers the way I feel about summer's beach-loving sun worshipers. You probably stare at us and stifle a shiver while thinking to yourself, "When will the insanity end?" The answer is, of course, shortly after Thanksgiving when the new insanity becomes all things Christmas.

But back to my love of autumn.

Yesterday was a lot less humid than a normal August day and I took advantage of that weather phenomenon to make a big pot of lentil soup. My husband thought I was crazy. "It's still August," he reminded me. "I know, but it's a cool day and I miss my soups." 

Today, the humidity's back and expected to stay for the rest of the week. It won't last forever. And when it's gone, I'll be ready. So, for those like me, looking forward to their first cup of soup, here's what I made yesterday:

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

1 cup lentils
32 oz chicken broth
1 cup vegetable juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 chicken sausages, browned and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup diced cooked ham
chopped carrots, celery, onion
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a 3.5 quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Enjoy!

This recipe makes about 2.5 quarts of soup so be prepared to freeze some for later in the month, when the weather turns cooler. 

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: http://excellenceediting.com/

2 comments: