Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Word of the Day: Restraint

"Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken." -- Orson Scott Card

I'm doing my best to practice restraint these days. It's not always easy. What with the current events in the news, the bits of karmic justice I've heard meted out to the deserving, the "I told you so" retorts I struggle to keep bottled up, the nonsense I let slip by unchallenged...

Trust me. 

There are days I really should receive a fanfare for keeping my composure. 

Oh, don't get me wrong. I still vent. But I limit myself to the privacy of my own home and the seclusion of my family members who generally share my opinions and views on the subjects I want to discuss. Not because I don't like a good civil discourse, but mostly because we live in an age where, sadly, "civil" no longer exists. And I've had my share of disagreements involving back-stabbing and passive-aggressive behavior, thankyouverymuch.

So if I seem quieter than usual to you these days, it's probably because I'm biting my tongue, sitting on my hands, banging my head on a smooth surface, or singing "lalalalalalalalala" with my fingers in my ears. Or some combination of those actions.

It's safer that way. 

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: http://excellenceediting.com/
Post a Comment