Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Word of the Day: Ingenuity

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." -- George Patton

I had such fun with the A to Z Blog Challenge, I wanted to come up with something similar that would compel me to blog with more regularity, but...really...how often can I fool around with the alphabet? 

Enter Word of the Day. 

With Word of the Day, I get to choose any word that becomes a theme, no alphabetical order required, and provide you, dear reader, with a blog post that coincides with that theme.

Ingenuity is a perfect starting point. Why? Because it took a little creative thinking to come up with this idea, in my humble opinion. 

And because, today, after suffering untold disappointment at the idea I may have seriously fried my laptop while at Fiction Fest (I did), I may have found a way to salvage those programs that I can't transfer off Carbonite.

First of all, let me say, that if you don't use Carbonite or some other offsite backup storage, you're out of your gourd. It's not expensive--not compared to what you could possibly lose should something untoward happen. Case in point: my scenario.

Two weeks ago, I was at a lovely suite in the Hilton, and I turned on my laptop to review my presentation before my workshop. With my battery draining, I plugged in and zap! Thanks to some electrical short in the outlet, I fried the contact point between the AC cord and the laptop. Not the cord, and not the battery. The little hole where the cord plugs into the laptop. This is, according to my geek expert, a stellar expense to fix, requiring access to the motherboard. In other words, get yourself a new laptop, sunshine. It's cheaper in the long run.

Now, luckily, I *do* have Carbonite. But even so, it's a major league pain in the butt to transfer my website files, my music files, my Photoshop software, my book cover software, and a host of other stuff that I won't even think about until six months from now when it'll be too late to retrieve. And because I'll be transferring to my Ultrabook, which has no CD drive, some of these items will require rebuilding from scratch. 

But, like I said, I think I figured out a way around this conundrum. It won't be perfect, but it'll definitely buy me oodles of time until I can transfer everything I need into a brand spanking new laptop of my choosing--with a CD drive--at a date of my choosing. And the cost for this quick fix is under a hundred dollars. 

This, of course, along with my idea for Word of the Day blogging, is the true definition of "ingenuity."

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: http://excellenceediting.com/

0 comments: