Saturday, September 7, 2013

A to Z Blogging: P is for Pantser

Yup, that's me. I don't plot. Ever. 

In fact, I spend a lot of time wandering around with a blank look on my face while saying to myself, "What happens next?" and running what's come before through my head.

It's an odd way to write, I admit. But it works for me. I need to be as surprised as my readers by "what happens next." 

A perfect example is in my historical romance, Echoes of Love, written under my pen name, Katherine Brandon. 

The story takes places in a fictional country on the border of Russia during Napoleon's invasion. Royal governess, Chesna Dubrow, has vowed to protect the heir to the throne at all costs. Soon enough, her life is in jeopardy, and the culprit might be someone she's trusted since childhood.

While I was writing this book, someone kept trying to kill off my heroine--and I had no idea who the culprit was. I didn't know until about twenty pages from The End. And boy, was I surprised when the would-be killer revealed him/herself! I hope you'll be, too.

So...yeah. I'm a Pantser. And proud of it.

Echoes of Love is available from Amazon and The Wild Rose Press.

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page:
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: