Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

A to Z Blogging: E is for Editing

No matter how you write, editing is crucial for all writers. Me? I'm an "edit as I go along" writer. Yes, I know. All those how-to books say that's a no-no. That I should just regurgitate words and worry about the editing later. But I'm a control freak when it comes to my writing. If I know something I've written is wrong--whether it's a timeline issue, an incorrect phrase, or a dull scene, I can't move on until I fix it. Each scene I write hinges on what's come before. So if the previous scene isn't as perfect as I can make it, I can't move forward.

Like the writing process, the editing process is unique to each writer. What works for others may not work for you. I'm a perfect example of that. So whether you edit during or after you've written your manuscript is a personal choice. Editing, however, is an absolute must. Do not publish or shop around your work until you've had several different sets of eyes and one professional editor review it for both structural and line edits!

And (shameless plug): If you're looking for an editor, check out my website at www.excellenceediting.com for tips, sample contracts, and additional info.


For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing: http://excellenceediting.com/
Post a Comment