Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Available Now: Chasing Adonis

If you read my post last week, you know that I was indecisive about releasing my second paranormal contemporary, Chasing Adonis, a month early. Well, after a few sleepless nights (not that the decision kept me awake--I'm not that neurotic--but I never sleep more than a few hours a night without pharmaceutical aids), I pressed the "Publish" button on Sunday. It's official, kids. Chasing Adonis is now available for purchase for Kindle or in paperback.

As usual, this means I will now share a sneak peek with you to whet your appetite and make you want to buy. First, the blurb:

Every girl sees her thirtieth birthday as a milestone, but in Adara Berros's case, her entire life has turned upside-down. She may not know it, but Adara is actually the reincarnation of Greek mythology's Adonis. And she's about to be drawn into a centuries-old game between the gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus, with her eternal love as the grand prize.

Detective Shane Griffin senses trouble when he investigates an accident involving Adara and a mysterious stranger named Ted. Having lost his sister to domestic abuse, Shane suspects Ted is not the charming guy he appears to be. After he discovers Adara is the key witness for a murder trial, Shane vows to put his life and career on the line to protect her.

When Adara's life is threatened, she and Shane go on the run. Now, mortals and immortals alike are all...

...Chasing Adonis.


And now the excerpt:



“Tell me about the man you hit—”

“I didn’t hit him. Someone else hit us both.”

“Okay. Tell me about the other victim. Is he conscious?”

“I-I’m not sure. His eyes aren’t open. He groaned a few times, but he hasn’t really moved at all.” She glanced at the beautiful man, lying in the same position since she’d first spotted him near the sidewalk. “He’s on his stomach. I’m afraid to roll him over.”

“Don’t move him,” the woman on the other end ordered. “Just wait for the EMTs. They’ll be there soon. Does he have any visible injuries?”

“There’s no blood. I don’t see a scratch on him. His chest is rising and falling nice and even. He looks so peaceful, almost like he’s sleeping. God, that probably sounds stupid.”

“It doesn’t sound stupid, Adara. You’re doing just fine. How about your injuries?”

“I banged my head on the windshield and fell off the hood. I ache everywhere.”

“Any dizziness?” the operator asked. “Or nausea? Did you lose consciousness at all?”

“No, no. Nothing like that.” A dull ache bloomed in her skull. The man’s fingers tightened on her hand. “The man is in a lot worse shape than I am. I mean, I’m a little shaky, but otherwise, I think I’m okay.”

“Well, considering you’re shaky, you’re doing great. Where’s the car that hit you? Any injuries to the driver?”

“No…” She stopped, looked around. The street was completely deserted. “I mean, I don’t know. The car is gone.”

“Gone?”

“It drove away. I didn’t even see what kind of car. Just the headlights.”

“The ambulance just passed First Street, so you should see them any minute now.” As if the woman’s words had magical powers, a screaming siren cut the late night silence.

“I hear them.”

“Terrific, Adara. Don’t hang up yet. Stay on the line with me until they get to the scene, okay?”

The wails grew louder, and flashing lights came into view. Red, white, and blue illuminated the trees and sidewalk in crazy swirls.

“I see them now.” A static hiss pierced her eardrum.

Then the operator said, “They see you, too, so I’m gonna disconnect. Good luck, Adara.”

“Thanks.” She slid the cell phone closed and leaned to whisper to the fallen man. “The ambulance is here. Everything’s going to be all right now.”

His eyelids fluttered, and a long exhalation of breath left his lips. “Adara.” Both hands clutched hers, icy fingers squeezing hard enough to crush bone. “Stay with me. Please.”

The blare of sirens intensified. A dark sedan, emergency signal whirring from a mount on the dashboard, pulled up at the curb.

Out stepped the man of her dreams. Figuratively speaking, of course. Tall, drop-dead gorgeous, with the self-assured gait of someone who knew he could have any woman he wanted with the snap of his fingers. He waved for the ambulance to pull up alongside his car.

While the medical technicians climbed from the other emergency vehicle, the man knelt beside her. Stonewashed denim eyes studied her carefully. “Miss, I’m Detective Griffin, Suffolk County P.D. Are you the lady who called in the accident?”

Did he say Griffin? Like the creatures in the ancient myths her grandmother used to tell?

As a child, Adara would lie in her bed, covers to her chin, while Gigia spun tales about the gods and goddesses from her homeland. Griffins were fierce protectors, the guardians of hidden treasures. In Greek mythology, the griffin served Nemesis, goddess of retribution. Classical artists depicted the beast with the head, wings, and claws of eagles attached to the body of a lion. But this griffin was one hundred percent human animal, with the profile of a god and the body of a warrior.
 
Chasing Adonis is available for Kindle now.


For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Need editing services for your manuscript? Gina is proud to announce the launch of Excellence in Editing page: http://excellenceinediting.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment