Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The {Booker} Award: My Five Favorite Audio Books

The uber-talented, kind-hearted, generous soul, Ellie Heller, tagged me for this meme, which she conveniently adapted for audio books. I listen to audio books at work so I do have a comprehensive list of favorites.

Before I begin my list, I want to clarify this by saying, for me, when it comes to audio books, it's all about the narrator. I've listened to some really stinky books that were saved by brilliant narration. And I've had to read some really great books because the narrator on the audio version was such a disappointment. These five had the perfect combination of a well-written book and amazing narration. So with that in mind, I'm listing my books, along with the narrators:

1. Naked in Death by JD Robb, narrated by Susan Ericksen. I should probably amend this to "any of the In Death books that are narrated by Susan Ericksen." I'm addicted to this series, and I first fell in love with hero, Roarke, when Susan gave him that sexy Irish lilt in this book. <Delicious shivers!>

2. Breaking the Rules by Suzanne Brockmann, narrated by Patrick Lawlor and Renee Raudman. Again, any of the Troubleshooter books with Patrick's narration are must-haves for me. Suzanne Brockmann writes the male POV so brilliantly and Patrick brings that POV to life with humor, snark, and a realism that makes you love every member of this series.

3. The Bone Vault by Linda Fairstein, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat. I love all of Linda's books about Alexandra Cooper, DA for Manhattan's Sex Crimes Unit. How could I not? She combines my love of suspense with my love of history and adds all the details of New York City. There's also that underlying current of sexual tension between Alex and Mike Chapman that grows from Book I through the later books in the series. Barbara Rosenblat is an amazing narrator who can easily switch between the characters, giving each of them a unique voice.

4. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, narrated by Jenna Larnia. The beauty of this book, the color and rich description, the drama of the women, kept me pinned to my chair for hours.

5. Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah, narrated by Suzanne Toren. I wept like a baby while listening to this magical story about a "wild child" and a hurting psychologist who tries to unlock the little girl's story.

If you're not an audiobook fan and want to try one, you can't go wrong with any of these. If you're more a physical book fan, pick up any of these beauties for un-put-down-able entertainment. You won't be disappointed either way.

Thanks, Ellie. This was fun!

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html
Post a Comment