Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Five: Five Lines from Echoes of Love

Today is official release day for the electronic version of my latest historical, Echoes of Love. What better way to celebrate than with a few lines? First, of course, the blurb:

Royal governess Chesna Dubrow must protect the five-year-old king of Amatia from Napoleon Bonaparte's invading army. To do so, she'll be forced to wed one of the emperor's loyal soldiers. But Pietor Gabris isn't any soldier. Years ago, he broke Chesna's heart, forgetting the vows they'd made to love each other forever. 

Pietor's return to Amatia is embroiled in subterfuge. Amidst the deceit surrounding him, he clings to the one truth he cannot ignore--his timeless love for Chesna. Yet confessing what's in his heart would sentence them both to death. To keep Chesna safe, he must portray the role of traitor, ensuring her animosity continues to blow hot and harsh.

As danger and intrigue swirl around the palace, can Chesna place her faith--and heart--with the one man she swore she'd never forgive?

Now, the lines:

1. “I would have wagered the lure of the whores of St. Petersburg made you forget me,” she said.
“Had I known you’d join their sisterhood so soon after my departure, I might not have forgotten you so quickly.”

2. “Zarek was mistaken.” She threw her shoulders back, allowing no weakness. “I don’t cry.”
Expressionless, he brushed a thumb across her tear-stained cheek. “I thought as much.”

3. “Chess, I would never hurt you.” Again, he patted the cushion, this time with more energy. “Never.”
But he already had. First, he’d left her behind. Then he’d returned, bringing destruction with him.

4. “I swear on the soul of my late mother. I will protect you, Chesna.”
Their solemn vow. Her heart thudded, but her mind tumbled. The last time he’d made such a promise, he’d broken the oath within months. Could she put her pure faith in a man with a dark past?

5. Lips pursed, she bent close enough to his ear that he might hear her every inhale and exhale. “Go to the devil.”
In a wide arc, she slapped the back of his head with her shoe.

Echoes of Love is available at Amazon, B&, and The Wild Rose Press.

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: