Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mid-Week Rude Awakening: Quantity vs. Quality

I'm an oxymoron. In my personal life, I'm a control freak who doesn't sweat the small stuff. But in my writing world, I'm a pantser who's rigid about perfecting my chapters as I go along. I don't do "stream of consciousness," I'd rather face a blank page than a bad one (if I can help it), and I simply cannot move forward until I've edited my previous pages at least twice. So I'm always agog when I see someone post on one of their social media sites that they wrote 5000 words today, or some other number that seems astronomical to me. Oh, I believe them.

I just know that will never be me.

And I'm okay with that. I often say in my Basics Bootcamp workshop that there are as many ways to write as there are writers and we all have to discover what works best for us. How does that apply to me? On a super good day, I can probably write 500 words. On a super bad day, I'll tweak a sentence and that'll be the sum of my work for the day. But guess what? In my world, both achievements are just that: achievements. 

So what if I'll never succeed at NaNoWriMo (I don't even participate, to be honest). I may not be writing 5000 words a day, but when I type The End, I get to sit back and relax. I don't have to check my spelling or my grammar, I'm certain all my loose ends are tied, and that sucker is ready to be sent out. I'm guessing the 5000 word a day writer is stuck in edit hell for a while.

Quantity or quality? Whichever comes first for you doesn't matter. The end result is what's important!

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: http://www.ginaardito.com/ArticlesforWriters.html

1 comments: