Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Five: 5 Excellent Pieces of Advice I've Received at Past RWA Nationals

Last month, at the New England Imagination in Flight Conference, I had the opportunity to thank author Annette Blair for sitting in on my workshop. She told me she'd learned a thing or two from me and added, "You're never too published to take in a workshop." I couldn't agree more. With RWA National at the end of the month, I thought I'd share some of the valuable pearls I've learned at previous years' National Conferences (these are not direct quotes but as close as I can remember):

1. "Getting published takes three things: luck, talent, and synchronicity." - Patricia Potter
2. "I'm looking for a reason to reject your manuscript and get it off my desk. Don't give me that reason." - Steve Axelrod
3. "You have 24 hours to mourn (a rejection, bad review, or low contest score). After that, you put it out of your mind and move on!" - Susan Elizabeth Phillips
4. "Your voice is like your accent. You can't hear it, but everyone else can." - Jayne Ann Krentz
5. "Forget about how easy it was to get published ten years ago. It was just as hard then as it is now. Ride the hard." - Nora Roberts

I can't wait to learn something new this year!

For tips on writing and fun articles, visit Gina's Articles For Writers page: