Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Five: Five Books I've Really Enjoyed This Year (so far!)

Like most of us, my TBR pile is like pushing sand against the tide. Every time I finish one book, four more pop up in the stack. And because life's too short for bad books, here are five that I've read over the last four months that I highly recommend (NOTE: most of these aren't even close to "new release" status because there aren't enough reading days in a year for me!)

1. Sea Witch by Virginia Kantra Book I of her Children of the Sea series introduces us to selkie, Margred, and police chief of World's End, Caleb. Despite their differences, these two people find love but then must battle a demon to keep it. This story kept me riveted, and I'll be diving back into the series soon.

2. Treachery in Death by J.D. Robb In the 33rd (yes, kids, thirty-third!) installment of the series, Eve and her team fight corruption within the NYPSD, thanks to a tip from Peabody who just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. I honestly don't know how La Nora does it: every one of these stories is compelling, funny, and charming. Eve Dallas is my crack.

3. One True Love by Barbara Freethy This one squeaked in. Not because it's bad, but only because I haven't started the next installment in Barbara's Angel Bay series yet and those are hard to top. This author writes characters I love to spend time with. In this story, Lucy and Nick were torn apart over the death of their only child. After eight years rebuilding her life and on the eve of her wedding to another man, Lucy returns home to help out her best friend and winds up facing the love she can never forget.

4. Home in Time for Christmas by Heather Graham A sweet little holiday story that will have you believing in love that transcends time. A Revolutionary War patriot is about to be hanged but thanks to a time portal and some magic rose petals, he winds up in modern day Boston and meets Melody Tarleton who can't quite believe he is who he says he is. Although Melody comes with a quirky family, they never cross the line into insanity or stupidity like a lot of "comedic" romance offerings.

5. Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen Okay, so I've been hooked on Tess's romantic suspense for decades, but Rizzoli & Isles have a special place in my heart (and yes, I *love* the series too!) While trying to come to terms with her romance-that-can-never-be, Maura opts for a spur of the moment ski trip with an old acquaintance and winds up stranded in Kingdom Come, an abandoned religious compound. Flipping between Maura investigating the demise of the sect's members and Jane and friends trying to find Maura, the story offers the usual twists and turns a reader expects from a Tess Gerritsen novel.

I hope you'll find something new to add to your TBR or if you've read any of my selections here, feel free to offer your own opinions!

Don't forget to check out the other Friday Five participants. Their links are in my sidebar.
Post a Comment