Thursday, February 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Nick!

Today's my boy's 13th birthday. And while I'd love to post Then/Now photos, I know that's verboten in the teen's world so I'll stifle the urge. But I will tell you he's a great kid: clever, smart, charming. And no matter how old or how tall he gets, or how deep his voice gets, he's still my baby boy.

And because I'm dang proud of myself, I'll share the recipe for his birthday cake this year: Banana Split Bundt Cake

1/2 c butter, softened
1-1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 large ripe bananas
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c maraschino cherries
Caramels, melted (or caramel sundae syrup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour large bundt pan. Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Add bananas, milk, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Slowly add flour mixture in increments. Toss in chocolate chips and cherries, beat on medium-high speed until well blended. Pour into bundt pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pan. When cake is completely cooled, drizzle melted caramels over the cake.