Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

Just When I Thought There Was Intelligent Life on Earth

The "Obama" jokes started. I've been really good about not preaching my political beliefs here (though if you read this blog regularly, you can pretty much guess where I stood in this year's historic election). But it's been three days since November 4th's results and I've heard or been sent far too many recycled racist jokes with Obama somehow inserted into them to make them "topical." Enough!

The man is intelligent and insightful, a gifted speaker who represents a new beginning at a time when the world is in turmoil. And now we want to bring him down with cracks about watermelon and fried chicken? Don't we have more important things to concern ourselves with? Whether you voted for the man or not, he will be the forty-fourth president of the U.S. Grow up, accept that you are now a part of history, and let's help the man move us forward. He can't do anything without support. Afraid of losing your job? Or your retirement? Worried about how you'll pay to send your kids to college? Angry at the price of gas and heating oil? Concerned about global warning? Instead of pushing "Send" on that next recycled joke, get involved. Charity's not the only thing that begins at home, so does change!

So for those of you thinking of adding me to that...ahem!...hilarious email you got, or texting me about what will be served at the Inaugural Dinner, two words: Don't Bother.

I've got better things to do with my time, like making sure my kids have the opportunity to realize their potential, and leaving the world better--not worse--than how it was handed to me.




3 comments: