Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Scents of the Season

On my way home from work today, I stopped at the supermarket to pick up a few things for dinner. When I walked through the automatic doors, the scents of spice, pumpkin, and apples perked me right up. Each season has its benefits, I know. But autumn, with the tangy odors of cinnamon and nutmeg, cooler temps, colorful leaves, and the promise of hearty dinners before a crackling fire holds a special place in my writer's heart.

There's so much for your senses to absorb, I sometimes wonder if we lie dormant through the summer and only awaken at the first snap of cool air. In the Ardito household, there's already a pot of homemade chicken soup simmering on the stove. Later in the week, I'll start baking muffins and pies.

Football's in full swing.

The lovely and generous Bertrice Small will host her annual outing for the LIRW--this time to some local wineries.

And of course, it's time to crawl into the attic to pull out the long sleeve shirts and fall jackets.

What's your favorite part about autumn?



1 comments: