Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's Dexter Night!

Those who've followed this blog for a while know about my passion for the Showtime series, Dexter. It started, as these things usually do for me, with a book. A few years ago, Darkly Dreaming Dexter was just another in a long line of books on my TBR list. I think I read the book in about three hours. I fell in love with the serial killer/Miami Police blood spatter expert's quirky sense of humor and skewed but understandable thirst for honor. Then I let the story sit in my subconscious for a while before picking it up and reading it again, this time appreciating all the subtle nuances I'd missed the first time around. Then I passed it around to others to read. And my obsession was born. Once I learned about the series on Showtime, I counted the days until the premiere episode, watched (almost without blinking) and was thoroughly hooked.
While Season I on Showtime closely followed the book, Season II diverged dramatically. So for those who don't know about All Things Dex (shame on you!), let's recap last season. Dexter barely escaped arrest as the Bay Harbor Butcher, managed to frame poor Sgt. Doakes as the serial killer. Doakes was killed by the creepy Lila, who met her own end at Dexter's hand, thanks to Harry's code about only killing bad people. (Confused yet?) Dex's sister, Debra, had a brief affair with the FBI agent assigned to assist in the Bay Harbor Butcher case, but is now picking up the pieces of her broken heart...again. Poor Deb--always looking for love in the wrong places.
Tonight, we'll add a new character, D.A. Miguel Prado, played by Jimmy Smits.
So, grab some popcorn and settle in with the family for another terrific season. Okay...it's definitely not for the faint of heart. But if your family's anything like mine, they're going to love it!

0 comments: