Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thursday 13: Helpful Hints from my Inbox


One of the things I really dislike are the bulk emails I get from well-meaning friends. Still...every once in a while, something useful comes from those angels/you're my friend/hug a mom today viral plagues. This one I received was full of helpful household hints: more than 20! I knew I had a Thursday 13 in the making and I saved the list for a week where I was pressed for time. With the LIRW Luncheon tomorrow, this week's the week. Enjoy! And I hope you learn something!
1. Peel a banana from the bottom and you won't have to pick off those stringy things. That's how the primates do it!
2. Peppers with three bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating. Those with four bumps are firmer and better for cooking.
3. Heat up leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on the stovetop. Set heat to medium-low and heat until warm. No soggy crust!
4. When you buy premade canned frosting, whip it with your handmixer before use. You'll double the contents and halve the calories!
5. Use a wet cotton ball or Q-Tip to pick up broken shards of glass you can't see.
6. To keep away mosquitoes, place a dryer sheet in your pocket.
7. Use hair conditioner to shave your legs.
8. To get rid of fruit flies, fill a cup or glass with 1/2 inch of cider vinegar mixed with two drops of dish liquid. The flies will be drawn to the cup.
9. To reopen a sealed envelope, place it in the freezer for an hour and it will open easily.
10. Clear foggy windshields with a chalkboard eraser. Works better than a cloth.
11. To make scrambled eggs or omelets richer, add a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream, half and half, or cream cheese when mixing.
12. To prevent squirrels in your garden, sprinkle cayenne pepper. The pepper will ward off the rodents but won't hurt the plants.
13. Got ants? Pour small amounts of cornmeal in various areas. The ants carry the meal home but can't digest it and die.
Has anyone ever tried any of these? Do they work? Let me know!

Post a Comment