Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday 13: Thirteen Writing Quotes


13 Writing Quotes
Between the holidays and my last round of edits on "A Little Slice of Heaven," (yay!) I don't have time for a full-out Thursday 13 words of wisdom written by me. So enjoy these bits of sagacity from other writers:
1. "I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper."--Steve Martin
2. "A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit."--Richard Bach
3. "Pen, paper, perseverance, and proficiency."--Duane Alan Hahn
4. "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."--Jack London
5. "What I like in a good author isn't what he says, but what he whispers."--Logan Pearsall Smith
6. "When I sit down at my writing desk, time seems to vanish. I think it's a wonderful way to spend one's life."--Erica Jong
7. "If you can't annoy somebody, there is little point in writing."--Kingsley Amis
8. "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."--Benjamin Franklin
9. "To write what is worth publishing, to find honest people to publish it, and get sensible people to read it, are the three great difficulties in being an author."--Charles Caleb Colton
10. "The first draft of anything is sh*t."--Ernest Hemingway
11. "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork."--Peter De Vries
12. "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind."--Rudyard Kipling
13. "I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters in three segments, all at once, though they were to be run on three separate days. In between two of the segments, she asked me how many books I had written, and I told her. She said, "Don't you ever want to do anything but write?""No," I said."Don't you want to go hunting? Fishing? Dancing? Hiking?"And I said, "No! No! No! and No!"She said, "But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?"I said, "Type faster."--Isaac Asimov



Post a Comment