Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: NaNoWriMo Essentials


Today is the beginning of NanoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month, wherein authors attempt to complete a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. In honor of my first year participating, I came up with the following scenario. The ideal place to accomplish NaNo would be on a deserted island with no distractions or interruptions. So...if you were to volunteer to participate in NaNo by being dropped on a deserted island, what essentials would you bring with you to achieve your goal?


A few conditions: this fictional island will have no electricity so don't bother bringing your I-pod or laptop. Food will be dropped three times a day by Jenny Craig or Wolfgang Puck or your local Mickey D's, if that's what floats your boat. Health and beauty care essentials: soap, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. are provided for you. You'll also have an endless supply of tropical fruit, sunscreen, bug spray, and water. Now what would you bring? Here's my list:



1. A supply of different colored pens

2. Lots of notebooks

3. Chocolate

4. My favorite how-to books: Stephen King's On Writing and Noah Lukeman's The First Five Pages

5. My favorite read-for-pleasure books so I can see how the masters accomplish it: Any J.D. Robb, Bertrice Small, or Susan Elizabeth Phillips books will do.

6. Index cards

7. White Out (if I don't have the benefit of backspace, delete, and CTRL + V and/or X, I'll need to edit the old-fashioned way. Yes, I know, you're not supposed to edit while in NaNo, but some habits are hard to break.)

8. Highlighters

9. Photographs of my characters to refer to

10. A comfy chair

11. Rum, tequila, or some other spirit that mixes well with fruit juice

12. Water additives (you know, that 5 calorie powder stuff to make the taste better?)

13. A stable full of cabana boys:


Care to add to the list?

Post a Comment