Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday 13: Thirteen Depressing or Just Plain Creepy Songs I Can't Get Enough Of


They're the guiltiest of pleasures: those depressing and creepy songs that, for whatever reason, reach right through to your heart time and time again. And while you never figure out why, you always find yourself singing along. How many of these are on your list?


1. Cup of Coffee- Garbage. How pathetic are these lyrics?: "Hangin' round bars at night wishing I had never been born, I give myself to anyone who wants to take me home..."

2. I'll Follow You Into the Dark- Death Cab For Cutie. The masters of matching super-dark lyrics with a happy tune: "Love of mine, someday you will die, But I'll be close behind. I'll follow you into the dark..."

3. Spanish Doll- Poe. Written about her father: "And I love you still, no matter how the story will unfold. You know I always will, have part of you here in this souvenir..."

4. Nan's Song- Robbie Williams. Even for those who don't believe the dead watch over us, this song could convince you: "There's a strange kind of light, in my bedroom tonight. Pray, silence my fears, She is near, bringing heaven down here..."

5. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get- Morrissey. Just what the world needs: another stalker theme song! "When you sleep I will creep into your thoughts like a bad debt that you can't pay. Take the easy way and give in. And let me in..."

6. Everybody Hurts- REM. Is there anyone who isn't touched by those lyrics? "When the day is long and the night, The night is yours alone. When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well, hang on."

7. The Freshmen- Verve Pipe. Talk about depressing! "My best friend took a week's vacation to forget her. His girl took a week's worth of Valium and slept..."

8. Nothing Compares 2 U- Sinead O'Connor. A haunting voice, haunting melody. "I put my arms around every boy I see. They only remind me of you..."

9. I Burn For You- Sting and the Police. Oooh, major creepy when you've seen the movie, Brimstone and Treacle. This is from the soundtrack. "Now that I have found you in the coolth of your evening smile, The shade of your parasol. And your love flows through me. Though I drink at your pool, I burn for you..."

10. Vampires of New York- Marcy Playground. Do you need more than this? "And all the whores on Bleecker Street, they wear the blissful grins, Caused by the drugs they take to relieve them of their sins..."

11. Safer Hands- Olive. Another ode to Daddy. "The day you left no warning came. I was sleeping. Maybe it was your undying love. You didn't wake me, didn't take me."

12. Cry- Angie Aparo. Ah, the bitterness of spurned love. "If your love could be caged, honey, I would hold the key. And conceal it underneath that pile of lies you handed me."

13. Lullaby- The Cure. Eek! Robert Smith goes into creep overdrive for this one. "On candystripe legs, the spiderman comes, softly through the shadow of the evening sun. Stealing past the windows of the blissfully dead, looking for the victim shivering in bed."


Post a Comment