Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Break that Block!

Every once in a while, when I'm suffering from ye dreaded block, I pull out my Quotations book and choose several quotes at random. Then I play with the meanings behind those quotes. Can they help me strengthen characterization? Will they create a new scene that I can use to propel my story forward? Whatever they do, I find them a tremendous help in overcoming obstacles to my writing. Here are a few for today's blockees:

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Anonymous

"Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct." - Chuck Palahniuk

"Family isn't about whose blood you have. It's about who you care about." - Matt Stone and Trey Parker

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." - Helen Keller

"If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out of it but tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and no one dares criticize it." - Pierre Gallois


Here's hoping something in this list inspires you!

1 comments: