Thursday, May 17, 2007

13 Reasons I'm Looking Forward To the LIRW Luncheon

On Friday, June 15, the Long Island Romance Writers will host their 10th Annual Editor/Agent Luncheon. With less than a month to go, here are 13 reasons I can't wait for this year's event:

1. I get to shop for a new outfit.

2. I'm not a speaker this year (first time in four years!) so I get to relax and have fun without worrying about where my index cards are and how soon I should step up to the podium.

3. The awesome baskets at the Chinese auction (and I know what's in 'em, 'cuz I filled most of them!)

4. The relaxed atmosphere of the Carriage House at the Milleridge Inn.

5. Champagne punch

6. The excitement in the air (which may, in part, be due to the champagne punch.)

7. No appointments: just sidle up to an agent or editor and strike up a conversation.

8. Getting to see long distance friends.

9. Raspberry chocolate mousse for dessert.

10. Seeing who'll win the LIRW's Light of the Island Award this year.

11. The cost: $40 for LIRW members; $50 for non-members. (Such a bargain!)

12. Lindt chocolate favors.

13. The guest list. Along with guest speaker Maggie Crawford of Pocket Books, attendees include Faith Black of Avalon Books, Erin Galloway from Dorchester, Heather Osborn of Tor, Tara Parsons from HQN, Hilary Sares from Kensington, Kristen Weber and Becky Vinter of NAL, Olivia Wong of Loose Id, Diana Szu of Thomas Dunne Books, Rose Hilliard from St. Martin's Press, as well as agents: Pam Strickler, Donald Maass, Emmanuelle Alspaugh, and Meredith Bernstein. And there's still time for more business professionals to sign up!

How could I not be excited? If you're planning on attending, look for me and say hi!