Pages

Monday, September 25, 2006

In the Pink


First my daughter did it to herself. Then I let her do it to her brother. Now, after some thought and consideration, I let her do it to me: I let her streak color thru my hair. Fuchsia.

Why? Because it's fun, it does no great harm to anyone, and it rockets me right to the top of the Cool Mom list among Tori and her friends.


When I say that, I don't mean that I want to be a teenager again (I wouldn't live thru those years again for all Bill Gates and Donald Trump's money combined!) Nor do I plan to be one of those moms who hangs out with the kids and pretends to be a friend instead of a parent. It's more about not making judgments and reinforcing trust between my daughter and me and, by extension, between me and Kriszii, Amanda, Mike and the rest of Tori's crew.

Most of the comments and reactions I've received have been predictable. A few got the idea that it was for fun and smiled or complimented me on having the guts to do it. Some were taken aback and didn't know what to say, so they said nothing. One or two actually commented that I was trying to look more like my son. (Well, let's face it: the kid looks so much like his Dad, it might be nice to have some sort of resemblance, even if it is artificially enhanced.)

My favorite reaction so far came from the football field yesterday. I was heading to my car to get something and as I entered the parking lot, a mom was walking in with a little girl of about 4 or 5 years old. The child pointed to my head and shouted, "Mommy, that lady has--" Immediately, Mom shushed the poor kid. I turned around, laughing, and said, "It's okay. She can say it." I mean, after all, it's not like I didn't know my hair was striped bright pink. Tori didn't exactly wait 'til I was asleep then sneak up on me with a comb full of fuchsia dye. Ah, well. This too shall fade...

Oh, and for the record: Wildcats 7 Lions 0 Wildcats record so far this year: W 2, L 1, T 0

Go Wildcats!!!
Post a Comment