Pages

Wednesday, July 5, 2006

My Own Top Thirty

Miss Snark linked to a list provided by British librarians on the Top Thirty Books to Read Before You Die. I won't post the list here; you'll have to click over to Miss Snark's site to find it. Suffice it to say, I disagree with many of those on the list and thought I'd list my own. Sit back, this could be a while.

I'll be listing these in the order they pop into my head, not necessarily by my ultra-ultra favorite first, my mere ultra-favorite second, etc. My criteria for these choices is simple. These are books that I consider memorable: stories that have stuck with me over the years. I may not have read the story since high school, but for whatever reason, give me the title and a key scene will pop into my head. I also limited myself to one book per author. So that, while I love a lot of Dickens's works, I only listed my favorite: A Tale of Two Cities.

I guess that's as good a place as any to start so:

1. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. The Bastard by John Jakes
4. A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott
5. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
6. Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte
7. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck
8. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
9. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
10. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
11. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
12. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
13. Skye O'Malley by Bertrice Small
14. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
15. The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver
16. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
17. The First Wives Club by Olivia Goldsmith
18. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
19. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
20. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
21. The "In Death" series by J.D. Robb (can't pick just one!)
22. The Vendetta Defense by Lisa Scottoline
23. The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss
24. Sick Puppy by Carl Hiassen
25. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
26. Remembrance by Jude Deveraux
27. Harvest by Tess Gerritsen
28. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
29. Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer
30. Along Came a Spider by James Patterson

So there you have it. Remember, this was what I came up with in a two hour time span, based on books I loved to read and re-read.

Which ones have you read? Which books would you add to your own list?



0 comments: