Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2006

I AM A CHILD OF THE 70'S

With thanks to Childhood Site for the memories.

As a child of the 70's I could relate to the following statements:

1. All skaters, change directions" means something to you. Yup. Roll 'n Ice.
2. "Members Only" jackets...say no more.
3. A predominant color in your childhood photos is "plaid". God, yes! In my school photos: 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. How scary is that?
4. It was a major accomplishment to get to the "Chase" scene in Ms. Pacman. (And I remember the first time I heard the phrase, "Wow, you must be really good. You got commercials.
5. You can remember the words to the theme song of "The Greatest American Hero." ("BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I'M WALKIN' ON AIR... I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD FEEL SO FREE-EE-EE...") Yet I never watched the show--the kids I babysat did.
6. There was nothing strange about Bert and Ernie living together.
7. This rings a bell: "My name is Charlie, and they work for me."!
8. You actually believed that Mikey, famed kid on the Life cereal commercials, died after eating Pop Rocks and drinking a Coke. Well, I didn't really believe it, but I remember the rumor.
9. You actually remember Benetton.
10. You actually remember Mr. Bill. Oh, nooooooooooo!
11. You can recite the Preamble to the Constitution, but only to the tune of Schoolhouse Rock. My husband and I often sing "Conjunction Junction, what's your function?" much to the embarrassment of our kids.
12. You ever had a Dorothy Hamill haircut or used Short and Sassy shampoo.
13. You know, by heart, the words to Weird Al Yankovic's songs.
14. You learned to swim at about the same time "Jaws" came out... and still carry the emotional scars to prove it. And I still hear the theme music in my head every time I wade into the ocean.
15. You owned a Jordache anything, or you remember when Jordache jeans were cool. I used to have them dry cleaned to keep the deep blue color.
16. You recall when Love's Baby Soft was in every girl's Christmas stocking. And Heaven Sent, too!
17. You remember having a rotary phone.
18. You remember having to get off the couch to change the TV channel. (which was changed with a pair of pliers because the knob had broken in another century!)
19. You were not allowed to see The Exorcist, The Omen, or The Blue Lagoon when they came out.
20. Your first musical purchase was an 8-track tape. Well, my first album purchase was on 8-track. My first musical purchases were singles that required that little yellow plastic thingie I always lost within a day.

There's also a quiz if you're a child of the 80's, so why not stroll over to the site and relive your own childhood memories?

4 comments: