Thursday, March 2, 2006

Do you take this woman (and an apple pie)?

For the second time in a month, I'm reading about a couple getting married at McDonalds. The first was on Valentine's Day. That happy couple had about 50 guests at a local McDonalds where they dined on Big Macs and fries. How romantic...not! At least the second couple worked and met at the McDonalds where they tied the knot. Still, the idea sends bad taste shivers down my spine.
Maybe it's me, but I don't find this trend romantic, or even cute. Promising "'til death do us part...'" under the Golden Arches is a little too much tempting fate for me. Whatever happened to the backyard wedding? The quickie elopement? In this day and age it's smart not to blow your entire bank account on an affair for 500 of your closest friends and their closest friends and so on. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's...they just ain't it. Yo quiero my new wife...and Taco Bell. Hmm. Loses something in the translation, don't you think?