Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Happy Birthday, Nicholas B!

My son, Nick, turns 9 today. Almost a decade. Yikes! When I think back on all the milestones--first steps, first word (cat!), first tooth, first day of school, first bike, first team sport, etc., etc., etc.---I can see where the time flew. And there are still so many firsts to look forward to.

Yet part of me wants to go back to the times when he was an infant--particularly, the late-night feedings. Call me crazy, but I never minded getting up in the middle of the night with either of my kids. It was our "special time." The house was quiet, the neighborhood was dark, and I would snuggle on the couch with my little one. In those private moments, I could pour out my dreams for his future, sing softly, or even run a plot for my next book by my hungry baby. Not that I ever received any replies (except for a burp or two) but still...I knew he heard me and at the time, that was enough for me.

We still snuggle on the couch, still sing (not-so-softly though) and I still run plots for another book by the kids every once in a while. So maybe, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Nick's nine. Wow. Happy birthday, Nicholas B. Just remember: no matter how old or how big you get, you'll always be my baby boy!

2 comments: